According to TMZ Sports, Chargers safety (and 2018 first-round pick) Derwin James was allegedly robbed at gunpoint in Los Angeles last month by a pair of assailants.
The incident is said to have gone down when James and his uncle walked to his car after leaving an Italian restaurant on June 23. At that point, two men approached the former Florida State star and demanded that he and his uncle give them their jewelry. The two robbers were carrying handguns, and allegedly pointed those guns at James and his uncle while making their demands.
Documents obtained by TMZ say that the men grabbed a chain off James' neck and also took his Rolex. They further state that the No. 17 overall pick tried to go after the thieves in his car but quickly learned that three of his tires had been slashed. The suspects have yet to be caught.
James reportedly signed a four-year contract with the Chargers back in early June for $12.39 million.
The #Chargers signed first-round safety Derwin James to a 4-year, $12.39M contract, source said, which includes $7.1M signing bonus.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) June 1, 2018