Pop Culture

Nicolas Cage Is Coming Back for 'National Treasure 3,' Director Confirms

Director Jon Turteltaub says a script has Disney's approval, and the original cast is expected to return.

Nicolas Cage
Image via Jeff Kravitz / FilmMagic, Inc via Getty Images

Director Jon Turteltaub told a room full of fans in Philadelphia what they had been waiting nearly two decades to hear: National Treasure 3 is happening with Nicolas Cage reprising his role as Ben Gates.

The filmmaker made the announcement Friday (Aug. 22) during a live taping of the National Treasure Hunt podcast at the Philadelphia Visitor Center, part of the city's inaugural National Treasure Weekend fan event.

He framed the moment as a genuine exclusive, telling the crowd it was teh first time he said the news aloud.

"National Treasure 3 is happening. Thank you," Turteltaub told the audience.

The announcement came with details. Turteltaub confirmed a script is in place that cleared his own bar and that Disney responded with a green light in principle.

On the cast, Turteltaub was pointed: "To whatever extent we can, everyone's back." That would put Cage back at the center of the franchise.

The director also addressed why it took so long, citing a political climate he felt had made the franchise's patriotic premise more complicated to navigate.

He recalled a time when the films carried genuine bipartisan goodwill, referencing a private congressional screening requested by former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, and said that goodwill had since eroded.

"We have to be very careful, but I don't feel we are allowed to ignore it," Turteltaub said. "I think we have to include that idea in the story somehow without making someone feel put off."

The two original National Treasure films together grossed $806 million worldwide, with the 2007 sequel outperforming its predecessor at $459 million. The Disney+ spinoff series National Treasure: Edge of History debuted in 2022 and was canceled after one season.

Related Stories

 David Jonsson on stage at San Diego Comic-Con, holding a microphone, with Comic-Con logos in the background.
Pop Culture

'Black Panther 3': David Jonsson Cast as T’Challa’s Son in Upcoming Movie

Ryan Coogler returns to direct the trilogy capper, with Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, and Denzel Washington also on board. The film will shoot on 70mm.

Abel Shifferaw29 days ago
There's Some Hope for 'Landman' Season 3 After All
Pop Culture

'Landman' Season 3 Gets Promising Update From Paramount+ Amid Filming Delay

A top Paramount+ exec confirms Taylor Sheridan is still writing the next chapter, even as delays push filming into 2027. Here’s what that means for fans.

A group of five people on stage at Comic-Con, with one person speaking into a microphone.
Pop Culture

Marvel Officially Announces 'Black Panther 3' With Ryan Coogler Returning to Direct

David Jonsson will play an adult T'Challa's son, with the film set for a December 15, 2028 theatrical release in 70mm.

Abel Shifferaw29 days ago

Stay ahead on Exclusives

Download the Complex App