R. Kelly’s lawyer was interviewed by the Associated Press on Friday, and called the allegations against his client “disgusting.” Steve Greenberg, who represents Kelly, explained that Kelly “never knowingly” had intercourse with underage women, and never “forced anyone to do anything.” He also stated that the maligned singer “never held anyone captive,” and “never abused anyone.”
While Kelly’s alleged behavior has been an open secret in the music industry for some time, it’s come under an intense microscope since the recent airing of Lifetime’s explosive docuseries Surviving R. Kelly. This wasn’t the first time that Greenberg came to Kelly’s defense in recent days.
On Thursday, Greenberg denied the allegations in an interview with CBS Chicago, and questioned their motives for speaking out. “Why the women do it I can’t tell you,” he said. “But none of them complained when the relationship was over. None of them complained until someone came out and found them.”
Based on recent reports, things will get worse for Kelly before they get better. On Friday, TMZ reported that an anonymous tipster told Chicago police that Kelly was holding two women hostage in his Trump Tower residence. When police arrived, the women said they were there voluntarily.
Since Surviving R. Kelly began airing last week, a number of notable figures in the music industry have spoken out against Kelly and disowned their past work with him. Despite the turmoil, Kelly seems nonplussed. He was spotted partying at a Chicago club earlier this week, and according to Greenberg, has yet to watch the docuseries. “The series is trash TV,” he said. “There’s no reason to watch the series.”