A lawyer representing Jonathan Majors says footage and comments from a witness shows that the actor did not assault the woman at the center of a New York City case that has remained in headlines since first being revealed in March.
Per TMZ, an attorney for Majors filed documents on Wednesday citing statements from the driver of the vehicle he and the woman were traveling in on the evening in question. Additionally, the documents point to footage—including body camera video from police and security video from a club—they say disputes the allegations against the actor.
The driver, per the report, has said they witnessed the woman “assault” Majors while trying to “steal” the actor’s phone. The woman is also alleged by the driver to have hit and scratched Majors, with the actor at one point telling the driver to stop the vehicle so he could exit.
As for the footage, it’s alleged that body cam video shows officers “clearly coaching” the woman to tell them that Majors grabbed her by the throat. This happened, the lawyer says, after Majors called 911 when arriving home to find the woman unconscious.
The security video, meanwhile, is claimed to call into question the injuries (namely a broken finger) the woman allegedly had at the time of police arrival. In those clips, alleged screenshots of which are included in the TMZ report, the woman is said to be seen drinking at a club while using the allegedly injured hand.
Complex has reached out to Jonathan Majors’ legal reps for comment. This story may be updated.
Previously, a lawyer representing the actor shared alleged text message screenshots with TMZ. In those alleged texts, as reported at the time, the woman was seen telling the actor, officials did not have her “blessing on any charges being placed.”
Majors was arrested in New York in March and later arraigned on assault and other charges. A rep for the actor quickly shared a statement saying that he was “entirely innocent” of the allegations against him.
More recently, Varietyshared a report stating that additional alleged victims were now cooperating as part of a Manhattan District Attorney’s Office case. Recent days have also seen a number of reports revealing that the actor is no longer linked with several projects, including a previously unannounced Otis Redding biopic.
A lawyer for the actor told Complex this week, “Jonathan Majors is innocent and has not abused anyone. We have provided irrefutable evidence to the District Attorney that the charges are false. We are confident that he will be fully exonerated.”