Shortly after Avicii's untimely death last month, rumors started to swirl about the release of a posthumous album of previously unreleased music, but a rep for the late DJ and producer have officially shut down those rumors, Billboard reports.
According to his PR representative Diana Baron, a story from a Swedish publication was effectively lost in translation, causing the wrong information to be circulated in English-language media. "Tim had been working on new material and had posted nine-ish photos and Instagram stories about his sessions this year," she said. "As of this moment, these stories about a scheduled release are just rumors coming from hopeful fans who loved Tim and his music."
The day after his death, Geffen President and A&R executive Neil Jacobson told Variety that Avicii had been working on "incredible, magical music" at the time of his death, and that it was the producer's "best music in years."
This may be where some of the confusion came from, but Jacobson did add that any plans to release the music would ultimately hinge on what Avicii's family decided. "I’m going to sit down and talk to the family once everybody has a chance to take a breath," he said. "We’ll try to get some advice from the family and everybody’s going to put their heads together and try and do what we think Tim would want us to do."
Still, with no current release date, that doesn't mean his unfinished material will never see the light of day. His death prompted his biggest single "Wake Me Up" to experience a 718 percent surge in streaming and bump back into the Billboard Hot 100 and Dance/Electronic charts in early May as a result.
Avicii died on April 20, 2018 of an apparent suicide.