Harvey Weinstein is hoping to make a career comeback if he’s found not guilty during his impending trial.
In a new interview with CNN, the accused rapist and sexual predator said that should he not be convicted, he plans to concentrate on his children, health, and rest. He also insinuated that he wants to reclaim his place in the film industry.
“It will take a bit of work to build back to it,” Weinstein wrote via email to CNN. “If I can get back to doing something good and building places that help heal and comfort others, I intend to do so.”
“The past two years have been grueling and have presented me with a great opportunity for self-reflection,” he wrote. “I realize now that I was consumed with my work, my company and my drive for success. This caused me to neglect my family, my relationships and to lash out at the people around me. I have been in rehab since October 2017, and have been involved in a 12-step program and meditation. I have learned to give up my need for control.”
Weinstein didn’t respond to whether he felt sympathy for his accusers, saying that he’s following his lawyers’ advice and “not offer[ing] any commentary on this.” He’s adamant that he is innocent of all charges, writing that, “the public’s biggest misconceptions come from the assumptions that have been made through the help of media.”
Last month, he bragged about his legacy in a strange interview with Page Six. “I feel like the forgotten man,” the alleged rapist said. “I made more movies directed by women and about women than any filmmaker, and I’m talking about 30 years ago. I’m not talking about now when it’s vogue. I did it first! I pioneered it!”
Weinstein has been accused of rape, sexual assault, or sexual harassment by over 80 women. His trial for five counts of predatory sexual assault, criminal sex acts, and rape begins on Jan. 6. In December, news broke that he and the board of the Weinstein Company had tentatively reached a $25 million settlement agreement with dozens of his alleged sexual misconduct victims.