Netflix is pulling the plug on The Get Down just one month after the conclusion of its debut season. The news arrived via the Hollywood Reporter Wednesday night, immediately inspiring backlash from critics and fans alike on social media. Baz Luhrmann and Stephen Adly Guirgis' musical drama is the first Netflix original series to be canceled after just one season.
Fans of the series, which centers on disco's final days and hip-hop's rise, have united behind the hashtag #RenewTheGetDown on Twitter. Some have placed blame on Luhrmann for the show's premature end:
Regardless of who's to blame, the absence of The Get Down will be felt:
In a lengthy Facebook post Wednesday night, Luhrmann—who also directed the Get Down premiere—discussed his conflicting film obligations. "This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show," he said. "It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions. I feel so deeply connected to all those who I have worked and collaborated with on this remarkable experience."
But could The Get Down still have a shot at a proper finale? The show was originally given a 13-episode order by Netflix back in 2015. With the release of five new episodes last month, the series—as it stands now—only consists of 11 episodes.
Netflix did not immediately respond to Complex's request for comment regarding the potential for final Get Down episodes.
In his Facebook post, Luhrmann also floated the idea of turning The Get Down into a stage show. "All sorts of things have been thrown around for the future," he said.