Fat Joe Launches Relief Fund for Victims of Fatal Bronx Fire (UPDATE)
Fat Joe and the NYC Mayor’s Fund launched a fund to provide aid to victims of the Bronx fire, which left at least 17 dead, 32 hospitalized, and 63 injured.
Image via Getty/Leon Bennett
UPDATED 1/20/22, 5:14 p.m. ET: Fat Joe is set to host an all-day fundraiser for those affected by the deadly Bronx apartment fire.
The NYC native will hit the Hot 97 and WBLS airwaves this Saturday to help raise money for families of the victims. He will be joined by some of the biggest names in music, including Slick Rick, French Montana, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, Remy Ma, and DreamDoll. Bronx Borough President Vanessa Gibson will also make an appearance.
“I’d like to express my appreciation for my family at HOT97, WBLS and all my friends that are supporting this fundraising effort,” Joe said. “It’s critical that we continue to come together and uplift our Bronx brothers and sisters who are suffering physically, mentally and emotionally from this tragedy.”
The fundraiser will take place from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
See the original story below.
Fat Joe has opened a relief fund for those affected by the deadly Bronx fire, which left at least 17 dead.
The Bronx native is working with the New York City Mayor’s Fund to launch the fundraiser. He’s also garnered contributions from Jay-Z and DJ Khaled, and is tapping other celebrities in his music, sports, entertainment, and business network to provide further aid for the victims of the fire.
Those who want to donate can do so here.
According to a statement, “100 percent of all donations will help families and enable the distribution of emergency supplies for those in need.”
“I need all my people world wide to come together for the families devastated by the fire in the Bronx,” Fat Joe wrote on Instagram. “I’m donating and I’m asking everyone that has a Heart to donate. these people are mostly immigrants that have no where to go they lost everything. it’s 10 degrees in the Bronx today!”
The fire engulfed the Twin Parks North West apartments on Sunday, which was caused by an electric space heater that malfunctioned in a bedroom. The blaze also left 32 people hospitalized; 63 people in total were injured.
“The heat was on in the building. This (the space heater) was being used to supplement the building heat,” Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. “There were smoke alarms throughout the building. The first call that came in was due to a neighbor hearing the smoke alarm and looking and seeing the smoke and calling.”
The Gambian Youth Organization has also launched a GoFundMe fundraiser to assist the victims, which can be found here.