In a wide-ranging chat with Billboard published Friday, Sean reaffirmed his commitment to staying in the studio until his next album is as strong as possible, saying he "had some things to work out in my head...I never really took the time out to nurture myself, to take care of myself. It took me a lot of depression [and] having a lot of anxiety to realize something was off," he explained. "I've been getting myself together, getting my mind right. So I have been taking better care of myself and...not only am I bringing my best self to the music but I'm bringing my best self to the table, to my city, to my fans, to the people who are about me."
Fans shouldn't expect an album announcement just yet. "I'm not 100 percent ready," Sean said.
The Unfriendly Reminder Tour would have seen Sean revisiting his old music onstage while working on new cuts on the side. Playboi Carti, Shy Glizzy, and Gashi were tapped as openers. In February, Sean told fans he was in a "deep creative space" and had decided to postpone the tour. In April, the tour was officially canceled.
Also in the new interview, Sean spoke on the shooting death of 20-year-old XXXTentacion, calling it a "senseless" act of violence. "Nobody's deserving of that," he said. "I feel like he was a raw, talented artist and I feel that we only saw a glimpse of it. He has real fans and real people that love him, so I'm sure he's gonna live on forever." He previously remembered X on Twitter: