In the wake of the tragic massacre at Orlando gay nightclub Pulse, transfeminine rapper and producer Michete posted a message on Facebook speaking out against homophobia and transphobia. After the post was shared over 2,000 times, Michete says the post was removed by Facebook because it did not meet the sites Community Guidelines.
Machete's post read:
On Tuesday, Michete posted a tweet with screencaps of the notice from Facebook that the post about Orlando had been removed:
Later on Tuesday, Michete tweeted an update, which said that Facebook banned the post a second time, and blocked Michete from posting or messaging on Facebook for 24 hours:
Many were angered by the news that Michete's Facebook post had been removed, claiming that the social media site fails to remove blatantly racist, homophobic, sexist, or otherwise offensive material, but somehow Michete's post about Orlando was deemed inappropriate.
Among the content that Facebook's Community Guidelines says the site will ban are direct threats, hate speech, and violence and graphic content.
A Facebook spokesperson told Complex over email that,
Michete did not immediately respond to Complex's request for comment.


