There's apparently "more nuance" to what's previously been reported on David Benioff and D.B. Weiss' exit from their Star Wars project, including how the situation was explained in a joint statement from the Game of Thrones duo.
According to a piece from the Hollywood Reporter published Wednesday, the move has been "brewing" since August, with Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy allegedly not pleased by the timing of their deal with Netflix.
Per the latest article, Kennedy is said to have lacked confidence in the duo's ability to develop a new trilogy while also overseeing both movie and TV projects as part of their Netflix deal. Netflix, meanwhile, reportedly learned of the Star Wars exit only days before the general public, though the streaming giant is said to have been made aware of Benioff and Weiss' previous plans of working on their projects and the Star Wars trilogy "simultaneously" and were never sweating the overlap.
However, THR sources noted that the two were expected to be on the set for any Netflix projects "and not be away for Star Wars at the same time." When they initially made their Netflix deal, Benioff and Weiss were supposedly in the middle of a treatment for Disney/Lucasfilm, with a commitment to co-writing "at least" one of the trilogy entries and possibly all three.
Additionally, Benioff and Weiss are alleged to have stumbled into some hesitant thoughts about joining the Star Wars universe, thoughts some sources chalked up to what they perceived as a "toxic fandom" surrounding the franchise.
According to a separate piece from Variety, Benioff and Weiss had understandably ambitious goals for their would-be take on Star Wars that reportedly included an exploration of the Jedi's history and larger origin story, with Lucasfilm and related Powers That Be apparently not seeing eye to eye on this possible angle.
For now, fans have both The Mandalorian series and J.J. Abrams' The Rise of Skywalker to look forward to, though it's anybody's guess where the franchise ends up going from there.