An Ontario man has filed a $2.5-million lawsuit against the City of Toronto after claiming that he originally proposed the idea of creating the beloved 3D sign at Nathan Phillips Square.

Toronto branding consultant Bruce Barrow claims that he came up with the idea and pitched it in a confidential business proposal, but didn’t receive acknowledgement or compensation for the idea when the illuminated sign went up at Nathan Phillips Square for the Pan Am and Parapan Am Games last year.

The lawsuit names the City of Toronto, Mayor John Tory, councillors Josh Colle and Michael Thompson.

A statement released by Barrow’s lawyer John Simpson said his client conceived the sign structure in 2009 and subsequently had several meetings with city officials in 2013 and 2014.

“Mr. Barrow looks forward to getting his due credit and compensation for conceiving this iconic structure,” Simpson, said in a statement. “The city’s explanation to date, that by sheer coincidence it came up with exactly the same idea on its own and around the same time that Mr. Barrow shared it with them in confidence just doesn’t hold water.”

Simpson filed a statement of claim on Jan. 5 in Ontario Superior Court seeking damages for misappropriation of confidential information and breach of confidence.

Barrow is seeking $1.75 million in damages for misappropriation of confidential information and breach of confidence, $750,000 in punitive, aggravated and exemplary damages.

The allegations have not been proven in court.

According to the City of Toronto’s website, the illuminated ‘Toronto’ sign was conceived by city staff “inspired by other successful marquee events and cities that have used a branded 3D letter installation.”