Almost two months after Demi Lovato was hospitalized for a suspected overdose, her mother is breaking her silence about the frightening incident.

“It's still a really difficult thing to talk about,” Dianna De La Garza said in an interview with Newsmax TV. “I literally start to shake a little bit when I start to remember what happened that day.”

De La Garza, author of Falling With Wings, recalled receiving a slew of text messages on July 24, the day Lovato was admitted into Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. “I thought, 'What is going on?’ The first lines of these texts were saying, ‘I just heard the news. I'm so sorry. I’m praying for your family. I'm praying for Demi.’”

She said she was then informed Demi had been hospitalized for a suspected overdose—news that was immediately confirmed by the singer’s then-assistant. “I was in shock. I didn’t know what to say. It was just something that I never, ever expected to hear as a parent, about any of my kids,” she said. “And I hesitated to ask, but I had to ask her; I remember it just seemed like the words took forever to come out of my mouth. I said, ‘Is she OK?'”

De La Garza was told her daughter was conscious but was not speaking. Once she heard this, De La Garza relayed the information to her other daughters, Madison and Dallas, who immediately accompanied their mother to Cedars-Sinai.

Once they arrived at the hospital and saw Lovato’s condition, De La Garza quickly attempted to comfort the singer. “She just didn't look good at all. She was in bad shape,” she explained. “I said to her, ‘Demi, I'm here. I love you.’ At that point, she said back to me, ‘I love you, too.’

“From that point on, I never allowed myself to ever think that things weren't going to be OK,” she continued. “I prayed, of course, all the way to the hospital, and my faith is strong. And I think that was one of things that got me through, you know, the next couple of days when she was in critical condition. We just didn't know for two days if she was going to make it or not.”

Lovato remained hospitalized for more than a week, and entered a rehab facility upon her Aug. 4 release. De La Garza credits not only the hospital staff for her daughter’s recovery, but also the love and support her family received during uncertain times.

“I can honestly say today that she is doing really well. She’s happy, she’s healthy,” De La Garza saod. “She’s working on her sobriety and she’s getting the help she needs, and that in itself encourages me about her future and about the future of our family.”