A 23-year-old McDonald’s employee who was fatally shot after an argument that allegedly started with a complaint of cold fries has now died, police said Friday.

Per a regional report from New York outlet WPIX, the death of the victim in the shooting—which occurred earlier this week at a Brooklyn location of the fast food establishment—was confirmed by the New York City Police Department (NYPD) on Friday.

That individual, identified in reports as 23-year-old Matthew Webb, was said to have been shot in the neck outside the restaurant on Monday night. According to law enforcement, he was shot by a man whose mother had gotten into a verbal altercation about the temperature at which fries had been served.


The suspect, 20-year-old Michael Morgan, is alleged to have gotten into a physical fight with Webb during which he at one point brandished a gun and shot him. On Wednesday, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell announced that Morgan had been charged with attempted murder and criminal weapon possession in connection with the McDonald’s shooting. 

Morgan is also reported to have been subsequently charged over a separate shooting in 2020. A woman identified as Morgan’s girlfriend, meanwhile, has been charged in connection with this week’s McDonald’s incident.

When reached for comment by Complex on Friday, an NYPD spokesperson confirmed that Webb had “succumbed to his injuries” on Wednesday. While the investigation remains ongoing, the rep added, the shooting is now being investigated as a homicide. At the time of this writing, additional information had not been made public.