Matthew Perna, per a report from regional outlet KDKA, was set to be sentenced this week following his guilty plea last December. In an online obituary, Perna’s family said that the 37-year-old man died “of a broken heart” on Feb. 25. “His community (which he loved), his country, and the justice system killed his spirit and his zest for life,” the family said.
In January of last year, Perna was arrested in connection with his involvement in the Capitol riot. He later pleaded guilty to an indictment charging him with obstruction of Congress (a felony) and three misdemeanors.
Court documents cited alongside Perna’s plea stated that he entered the Capitol on Jan. 6 and went through the Senate Wing door “after barriers set up by law enforcement were breached.” Per prosecutors, Perna remained inside the building for what they estimated was a period of 20 minutes. Perna is said to have later shared a video to Facebook, at one point saying in the eight-minute upload “It’s not over, trust me.”
A sentencing date for Perna had been set for March 3. He faced up to 20 years in prison, as well as a fine of $250,000 for the felony obstruction charge. In a recent statement from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for D.C., it was stated that—in the 13 months since the riot—more than 750 people have been arrested. This week, the congressional committee investigating the riot announced the issuing of subpoenas to six Trump-connected individuals, including One America News personality Christina Bobb.