President Trump announced on Wednesday that the United States military will no longer "accept or allow" transgender people. In typical Trump fashion, the declaration came in a series of tweets. 

Trump said the surprise decision came after consulting with "generals and military experts," but he didn't identify anyone by name.

Transgender people have been allowed to serve openly in the military since last year. In June 2016, then-Secretary of Defense Ash Carter lifted the ban on transgender service members. As reported by NPR, Carter said the allowance came about because "the Defense Department and the military need to avail ourselves of all talent possible in order to remain what we are now—the finest fighting force the world has ever known."

According to Carter, researchers estimated that "about 25,000 people out of approximately 825,000 reserve servicemembers are transgender, with the upper end of their range of estimates of around 7,000 in the active component and 4,000 in the reserves."

Social media reactions to the proposed ban are already starting to roll in, from celebrities to entities created to protect LGBTQ and human rights.

One person pointed out that this move goes against a promise Trump made during his campaign.

Former U.S. Army soldier and trans woman Chelsea Manning, one of the most qualified to speak on the issue, added a pointed perspective.

Other famous trans Americans, including Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox, expressed their anger over Trump's declaration.

Tuesday afternoon, Kim Kardashian shared her thoughts:

Only time will tell how the President plans to ultimately implement the ban.