For more than a year now we've heard the rumor that Conor McGregor will cross over from MMA into boxing in order to make a boatload of money in a fight against Floyd Mayweather. While that initially sounded absurd to almost everyone, months went by and it seemed more and more plausible.
Now, according to Yahoo, who themselves are citing a "well-placed source," the two men will fight on Saturday, Aug. 26. If you'd been paying attention you knew that that date was already rumored earlier this week. Sure enough, shortly afterward, Floyd confirmed the date:
And, as for McGregor, he beat Mayweather by a few minutes, with a joke that he probably had planned for months—he poked fun at Mayweather's age by "accidentally" using a photo of Floyd's 64-year-old father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., instead of the fighter:
Dana White also appeared to take the minimalist approach:
Terms of the deal that were apparently agreed to are not yet available, but White told TMZ Sports that he "expects" McGregor to make "around $100 million."
On Wednesday, (or Tuesday night, depending on your source) the Nevada Athletic Commission approved a Mayweather Promotions request to be put on an Aug. 26 boxing card at the MGM Grand. However, as MMA Fighting noted, neither Mayweather nor McGregor currently have a license to box in Nevada. That process can be changed in less than a week.
TMZ Sports recently provided some additional details regarding their upcoming fight. The 12-round bout will take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with both guys wearing 10 ounce gloves. Mayweather Promotions will take care of determining the undercard, which will also consist of boxing matches. When asked to address the speculation that one of the fights on the undercard could be Roy Jones Jr. versus Anderson Silva, Dana said, "I highly doubt it." The two will be tested by USADA for any performance-enhancing drugs.