Key Takeaways
- BBC Radio DJ Trevor Nelson, 62, revealed in an Instagram video that a brain tumor diagnosis led him to step away from broadcasting in June 2026 and undergo serious surgery.
- Nelson says the operation went "incredibly well," he has spent the past two months recovering at home with the 2026 FIFA World Cup as a welcome distraction, and now feels "energised" and ready to return to radio and DJ gigs soon.
- With DJ Spoony currently covering his BBC Radio 2 slot, Nelson has reassured fans not to worry, promising to share the "whole crazy story" later and stressing that he is "on the mend" and almost back to himself.
Trevor Nelson has broken his silence, revealing that a brain tumor diagnosis and subsequent surgery were behind the broadcasting break he's been on since June.
The 62-year-old BBC DJ shared the news in an Instagram video posted Thursday (August 20). "I was minding my own business and then it was discovered that I had a brain tumour," he said. "As you can imagine, I was shocked. In fact, my world was turned upside down."
Nelson had stepped away from all work commitments in June 2026, citing health issues after a routine check-up led to follow-up tests. At the time, he told fans he was concentrating on "getting better, being back to 100 percent me and to getting back behind the mic and the decks."
In the new video, he explained that following his diagnosis, "affirmative action had to be taken" and he was presented with options before proceeding. "I knew I had to stop work because I couldn't be that guy on the radio knowing I had that going on," he said. "Quite literally, my head was all over the place."
Surgery followed shortly after. "A few weeks later, I had a very serious surgery," Nelson said. "Thankfully, it went incredibly well."
He described spending the past two months at home recuperating and receiving post-operative treatment, and credited the 2026 FIFA World Cup as a welcome distraction during that time, calling it a "Godsend" that helped take his mind off the situation.
Nelson was emphatic about his current condition. "I can only tell you the truth, and the truth is, I feel great right now. I feel ready to come back, I feel energised, I feel almost back to myself," he said. "I'm playing golf, I'm doing a bit of gym, I'm doing all the things that I normally used to do, bar being on the radio and bar doing gigs."
The Instagram caption echoed that optimism: "I'm feeling good. I will be back to work very soon. To radio first and later to my DJ gigs. Thank you for all your messages, your love and your support."
Nelson said he plans to share the "whole crazy story" in full at a later date. For now, his message to fans was simple: "Please, don't worry about me … I'm on the mend, I really am."
DJ Spoony has been filling Nelson's BBC Radio 2 weekday 2-4pm slot since July 6. Nelson, who presents Sundays on BBC Radio 1Xtra as well, marked 30 years at the BBC earlier this year.