Benioff and Weiss had already met with execs at Amazon, Apple, Comcast, Disney, HBO, and Netflix prior to the series finale of Thrones in May, but were adamant that they had no plans to rush into a decision.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the duo was eyeing a deal upwards of $200 million as they narrowed down their options to Netflix, Amazon, and Disney in July. While the financial details of their deal are unknown, Deadline believes that it is in the nine-figure range.
Variety reports Benioff and Weiss have agreed to a multi-year deal that will give them the freedom to write, direct, and produce for both TV series and films. "We are thrilled to welcome master storytellers David Benioff and Dan Weiss to Netflix," Ted Sarandos, Netflix chief content officer, said in a statement. "They are a creative force and have delighted audiences worldwide with their epic storytelling. We can’t wait to see what their imaginations will bring to our members."
When Benioff and Weiss will start creating content for Netflix remains to be seen. The two are currently writing and producing a new Star Wars trilogy with the first installment slated for a Dec. 16, 2022 release. The other project the duo was working on was the alternative history HBO series Confederate. At the moment, it looks like the project was scrapped after receiving immense backlash.
"We’ve had a beautiful run with HBO for more than a decade and we’re grateful to everyone there for always making us feel at home," Benioff and Weiss said in a statement of their own. "Over the past few months we’ve spent many hours talking to Cindy Holland and Peter Friedlander, as well as Ted Sarandos and Scott Stuber. We remember the same shots from the same ‘80s movies; we love the same books; we’re excited about the same storytelling possibilities. Netflix has built something astounding and unprecedented, and we’re honored they invited us to join them."