At the risk of yet again bringing up coronavirus when talking about music, we do owe a huge debt to all the artists and DJs that have stepped up to keep our spirits lifted during quarantine season. Whether it's clashes, freestyles or live mixes, they've all helped keep our sanity (relatively) in tact through the power of Instagram—and one of the best to do it is the people's champ, Continental GT.
The Birmingham selector has been keeping spirits high every Friday and Saturday night from 8pm, with hours of tried-and-tested house and UKG heaters attracting legions of new fans with each broadcast (he went from just under 6,000 followers to over 20K in a matter of days), with everyone from Ghetts and Maya Jama to Chip and Lethal Bizzle tuning in to hear him spin.
For this mix, I just went for straight vibes and uplifting energy. Sweet vocals and jumpy beats is always a great combination to listen to.
What was the one track you absolutely had to include?
"Closer" by Chelsea Como, the Blackdraft remix. There was no way that I could've left that out.
Any tracks that narrowly missed the cut?
To be honest, no. I don't play tracks just to fill gaps. Every track gives off a good feeling.
What's the first single or album you ever bought?
The very first single I bought was "What You Want" by Industry Standard, and that's going back a good few years!
What's the last physical record you bought?
Last record... Boy! I can't even remember what it was, but it was definitely a garage track. I was buying records every week back when it was just vinyl and prices where anything from £7 to £20 for one track.
What do you want to see happen musically over the next 12 months?
Musically, for me, over the next 12 months I want to launch my own headline event and link up with all my IG Live community. We've been going strong week in, week out, so I can't wait to meet everybody live in the flesh and have a proper good rave and smash as many festivals as I can. My foot is firmly on the gas!
What trend or scene absolutely needs to die right now?
My main focus is to remain focused. I'm not worrying about what other trends or scene there is. As long as I'm staying on top of what I do, that's all that matters.
1. DJ Kismet - And I Know It
2. Osunlade pres. Nadirah Shakoor - Pride
3. T. Williams - Heartbeat f/ T Terri Walker
4. Louie Vega, The Martinez Bros, Marc E Bassy - Let It Go
5. Azari & III - Reckless With Your Love
6. Chelsea Como - Closer (Blackdraft Remix)
7. Trackheadz - I Feel
8. George Mensah - Thief In The Night
9. Fuzzy Logic - The Way You Move
10. Suntzu Sound pres. 1Luv - Black Daylight
11. Kate Simko - Go On Then
12. Bucie - Get Over It
13. Kent Phonic - Sunday Showers
14. DJ Kent - Falling (Unreleased Mix )
15. Hardhouse Banton - Colonel
16. Hardhouse Banton - The Music
17. Gorgon City f/ D Double E - Hear That
18. Dennis Ferrer - P 2 Da J
19. Industry Standard - What You Want
20. Omar - Feeling You (Henrik Schwarz Remix)
21. Aly-Us - Follow Me (Erik Hagleton Remix)