Harvey Weinstein has asked the court to toss out his sexual assault case, citing newly unearthed emails from an alleged victim.
According to documents obtained by CNN, Weinstein’s attorneys filed a motion for dismissal Friday in New York federal court. His team argues that documented communication between him and one of his anonymous accusers would clear his name. Weinstein’s lawyers described the “dozens of emails” as “extensive warm, complimentary and solicitous messages to Mr. Weinstein immediately following the now claimed event and over the next four year period.”
One of the alleged messages from the woman was sent Jan. 4, 2015, about 10 months after Weinstein is said to have raped her. The email read: “Your [sic] the one who makes it look good with your smile and beautiful eyes!! But thank you that makes me so happy to hear.”
The woman supposedly continued communicating with the Weinstein over the next several years. One of her most recent messages, which was sent Feb. 8, 2017, read: “I love you, always do. But I hate feeling like a booty call. :) ”
The emails were reportedly sent to the disgraced movie mogul’s official account at the the Weinstein Company. After the 66-year-old was fired from the studio, the Weinstein Company filed a protective order preventing the dissemination of the correspondence. However, Weinstein’s lawyers were granted access to the files earlier this year, and were given permission from a Delaware bankruptcy judge to include the messages in their motion.
“These communications irrefutably reflect the true nature of this consensual intimate friendship, which never at any time included a forcible rape,” Ben Brafman Weinstein's attorney, told CNN.