A retired NHS doctor who killed a mother-of-three whilst performing a bone marrow biopsy has been jailed for three years.

Dr. Isyaka Mamman pleaded guilty to gross negligence manslaughter over the death of Shahida Parveen in 2018, at the Royal Oldham Hospital. 85-year-old Mamman, who had previously been suspended for lying about his age, used the wrong needle and inserted it in the wrong place, piercing the sac holding Mrs. Perveen’s heart.

Sentencing the former NHS worker, the judge said that the death was his main responsibility but the hospital trust should have done more after Dr. Mamman had lied about his age and botched two earlier similar procedures, which left one permanently disabled.

The court heard how the 48-year-old Perveen lost consciousness as soon as the needle was inserted, causing her husband to flee the room shouting: “He killed her. I told him to stop three times and he did not listen.”

Following her death, an expert consultant said that the procedure had been inappropriately and incompetently performed. The judge said that Mrs Parveen “had been badly let down” and a custodial sentence was inevitable.

Dr Chris Brookes, Group Chief Doctor and Deputy Chief Executive for the Northern Care Alliance NHS Foundation Trust, which runs The Royal Oldham Hospital, said: “We wish again to offer our sincerest condolences to Mrs Parveen’s family and friends and we are deeply sorry for their loss. We would like to reiterate our sincere apology previously provided to Mrs Parveen’s family. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to them.”

He added: “Following Mrs Parveen’s death in September 2018, the Trust launched a thorough internal investigation to examine the circumstances leading up to and following this tragic incident. The Trust implemented improvements following investigation which were shared with Mrs Parveen’s family. The Trust has admitted liability in relation to a civil claim brought by the family. The Trust has liaised closely with Greater Manchester Police throughout their investigation and the subsequent legal proceedings concerning Dr. Mamman.”