UPDATED 1/31, 12:20 a.m. ET: The three victims have been identified as 26-year-old Destiny Sims of Arizona, as well as Illinois residents Iyana Hutton, age 33, and Nenah Davis, 29.
Reporting from the New York Post and an NBC affiliate indicates Sims, initially from Chicago, was a mother of three, and that Davis also had children.
“Police do not have any suspects in custody or a motive but say this was a gun battle with multiple rounds of fire,” NBC Los Angeles writes, adding that the incident marks “at least the third fatal shooting at a short-term rental in the Beverly Crest neighborhood since 2020.”
See original story below.
A shooting in a Los Angeles neighborhood has left at least three people dead and four others injured.
According to ABC 7, the incident took place at around 2:30 a.m Saturday in Beverly Crest, an upscale neighborhood located about two miles north of Beverly Hills. The Los Angeles Police Department say officers arrived at the scene after receiving reports of gunfire and found three deceased individuals inside a car. Sgt. Bruce Borihanh told reporters the vehicle was parked outside a short-term rental home.
“We’re still interviewing additional occupants, as well as witnesses and neighbors to try to piece together what happened here,” Borihanh said during a press conference. “Investigators are also going door-to-door and looking for additional surveillance video or any evidence that can help us determine what happened here and why these victims were shot.”
The sergeant confirmed four of the wounded victims were transported to the hospital; two are said to be in critical condition, and the others are stable. Borihanh said authorities are not releasing any information about the deceased at this time, including their ages and genders.
Officers have yet to make any arrests in connection to the shooting, and are now working to identify the “suspects.” Borihanh said, based on witness interviews, police do not believe the public is in any danger.
“We’re limited on the information we want to release at this time, to keep the integrity of this investigation,” he added.
The incident marks the fourth California mass shooting within the last week. The first occurred Jan. 21, when 11 people were killed at a dance studio in Monterey Park. Seven others were fatally shot Monday in Half Moon Bay. Just several hours later, five people were gunned down in Oakland; one of those victims succumbed to their injuries.