Chicago Residents Protest, Confront Police Hours After Fatal Shooting

After a police officer fatally shot a man in Chicago’s South Side on Saturday night, local residents gathered to protest and confront officers for hours. Several people have been arrested.

After a police officer fatally shot a man in Chicago’s South Side on Saturday night, local residents gathered to protest and confront officers for hours, according to the New York Times.

CNN reports that at least four people were arrested.

Chicago’s Police Chief of Patrol Fred Waller said police began following a man in the South Shore neighborhood on Saturday "who they thought might be armed.” “When they approached him, he tried to push their hands away,” Waller told reporters. “He started flailing and swinging away, trying to make an escape. And as he made an escape, he reached for the gun.”

At one point during the incident, an officer shot the unidentified man, who was later taken to a local hospital and pronounced dead. Waller told reporters police recovered a unfired semiautomatic weapon from the man. Some tweets have identified the man as a local barber, but that has yet to be confirmed. 

After the shooting, residents began approaching the officers and disputing the police department’s version of the incident. This is the latest event to expose the mistrust between police and local residents in black communities in Chicago. National protests against police brutality and Black Lives Matter turned its attention toward the city in 2015 after graphic footage of a police officer shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald was released.

Protestors shouted, "Who do you protect? Who do you serve?" at law enforcement on Saturday night. Many outlets noted the speed at which the protests broke out.

A very large crowd is gathering at 71st/Chappel, where Chicago Police say they shot and killed a person this evening. It's hard to put in words how tense the scene is. Witnesses say a female officer shot the man in the back while he was running away. He was a local barber.

— Nader Issa (@NaderDIssa) July 15, 2018

A crowd of protesters sparred with a group of #Chicago police officers Saturday evening near the street where an officer fatally shot a man during a confrontation in South Shore. (WARNING: Sensitive language)


— Chicago Sun-Times (@Suntimes) July 15, 2018

I've never seen a confrontation w/ police erupt so soon after a shooting. @nbcchicago

— CHRIS HUSH (@ChrisHushNBC) July 15, 2018

Tense situation after Chicago Police shoot and kill a man in South Shore. Police say there was a confrontation and he was armed @dsplacko on the scene

— FOX 32 News (@fox32news) July 15, 2018

As the Times points out, a reporter from the Chicago Sun-Times tweeted about officers using batons on the crowd before making several arrests. The reporter was also slammed to the ground by police. It’s unclear what those arrested have been charged with. By 10:30 p.m., the crowd was cleared.

I couldn't see what started this, but there was another huge escalation. People started running away as officers and protestors fought through the fence. People are throwing glass bottles at the police. At least three people pulled into a police car.

— Nader Issa (@NaderDIssa) July 15, 2018

Internet is bad so it's taking a minute for this video to upload, but Chicago Police just rushed the parking lot and started hitting people. I have my press badge on and identified myself as a reporter but I got shoved to the ground by two cops who smacked my phone out of my hand

— Nader Issa (@NaderDIssa) July 15, 2018

The officer involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative duties for 30 days.

Latest in Life