The Guardian reports that four boys have been rescued from the Thailand cave. The rescue operation has come to a close for the night and will resume in 10-20 hours.

The group of 12 boys has been trapped inside a cave in northern Thailand for two weeks. The Thai navy confirmed to the Guardian that the first two boys were freed late on Sunday afternoon and then airlifted to Chiang Rai city, which is about 50 miles from the cave. A third boy was reportedly freed at about 7:35 p.m. local time, and the fourth was rescued 12 minutes later.

The rescue operation involved 50 foreign divers and 40 Thai divers.

At a press conference that took place after the four boys were freed, Narongsak Osatanakorn, the head of the joint command center, said that he met the children. During the briefing, he said, "Today was the best situation – in terms of kids’ health, water, and our rescue readiness." He confirmed that the boys traveled 1km underwater and the first was rescued at 5:40 p.m. local time. The operation began at 10 a.m. local time and went faster than initially expected, but did not confirm which boys were rescued.

Earlier Sunday morning, Trump tweeted that the U.S. government is working with Thailand's government in the rescue operation.

The announcement of U.S. government involvement was sudden and this tweet is looked at as Trump's first public comment on the rescue mission. 

Earlier in the week, Elon Musk announced he's sending SpaceX and Boring Company engineers to Thailand to see if they could be useful during the mission.