An “internationally renowned” Premier League footballer has been arrested in London on suspicion of rape. The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was detained by police officers at an address in Barnet on Monday (July 4) following the allegation.

“On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police,” the Metropolitan Police said in a statement. “It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.”

However, a new report released by The Sun has provided further details about the arrest and the allegations against the player. According to the report, six police units outside swarmed the multi-million-pound gated mansion in the early hours of the morning. 

The victim, who is said to be in her late 20s, reported the alleged attack and showed police photos of “bruising”, accusing the footballer of raping her while on holiday last month. On Sunday (June 3), she attended a police station and made a full statement in support of her claims. The player will now miss his club’s pre-season tour while the investigations continue, with the Premier League season due to kick off on August 5.

“The allegations are of the utmost seriousness,” a source told The Sun. “Club bosses are stunned about this. The player was due to be on a pre-season tour. He will now not be travelling with the side. The law must be allowed to dictate what happens next. The player’s colleagues are absolutely dumbstruck about this. It is a hammer blow to the club, but the police must do their job.”

The unnamed player’s club has been contacted for comment by both The Telegraph and The Sun but is yet to release a public statement.