Oscar De La Hoya is no stranger to controversy. In 1996, the former professional boxer was accused of raping a 15-year-old girl when he was 23. The incident was settled out of court. While it’s not completely clear what happened that night, it’s not a good look. Most recently, De La Hoya seems to be the victim—with news of an extortion attempt revolving around an “incredibly embarrassing” sex-tape making the rounds.
According to The Daily Mail, De La Hoya and his ex-wife Shanna Moakler were targeted by two young women posing as Instagram models. De La Hoya reportedly met them on a dating site before starting a dialogue via Snapchat and inviting them to his glamorous Pasadena condo. His apartment, which he bought last year, cost $2.65 million and has a wine cellar, patio, and three bedrooms. What happened after the arrival of the two women—reportedly in their late teens or early 20s—writes itself. Partying, sexual activity, and a fair amount of intoxication. What De La Hoya didn’t know was that the pair was recording all of this on their phones. For a 10-time World Champion, this is frankly, quite a rookie mistake.
The two women reportedly contacted him a few weeks later, demanding $2 million in exchange to keep the footage private. De La Hoya apparently refused, which is when the two women went with plan B—talking to well-renowned celebrity sex tape broker Kevin Blatt. Blatt claims he turned the tape down as soon as he realized they were probably in the middle of extorting De La Hoya, which is when the pair approached Moakler. The ex-wife was reportedly told that she and her 19-year-old daughter would be humiliated should the footage leak, but fortunately, Moakler banded together with her ex-husband and contacted the authorities. As it stands, the FBI is currently investigating.
As for the footage itself, The Daily Mail claims De La Hoya can be seen completely naked in front of the two women, who are performing various sex acts on him with kitchen utensils. What exactly that means is unclear, but Blatt had some choice words for what he saw. “I’ve seen a lot of shocking videos in my time, and this one was incredibly embarrassing,” he said. “But it was clear to me Oscar had been set up. The girls even took a picture of this driver’s license to prove it was him, they knew what they were doing, almost as if they had done this before. In my mind, it was outright extortion and I cut ties with them immediately.”
According to The Daily Mail, a source close to Moakler said the ex-wife was interviewed by the feds for two hours on Monday, and that this entire situation has caused the whole family nothing but stress. “It’s in the hands of the FBI now, they have already interviewed Shanna.”
As it stands, this investigation is still developing, so stay tuned. The chances are high that the two extortionists will continue to fail at their attempts, especially since the FBI is now hot on their trail.