The Kings and Hawks game was delayed Thursday night after a group of protesters surrounded the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento.

The protests were in response to the recent death of Stephon Clark, a 22-year-old black man who was fatally shot by Sacramento police earlier this week. According to NBC Bay Area, the game’s tip-off was moved from 7:05 p.m. PT to 7:23 p.m. PT; however, many ticket-holders were unable to watch the game because the venue had been placed on lockdown.

The Sacramento Kings released the following statement:

Tonight's game began with a delay. Due to law enforcement being unable to ensure ticketed fans could safely enter the arena, the arena remains closed and we ask fans outside to travel home. We will issue further information soon regarding a refund.

As previously reported, Clark was shot multiple times in his grandmother's backyard Sunday night following a foot pursuit. Authorities said they were directed to Clark after receiving reports about a man who had broken several car windows. Clark, a father of two, was unarmed at the time. 

“Prior to the shooting, the involved officers saw the suspect facing them, advance forward with his arms extended, and holding an object in his hands,” the Sacramento Police Department wrote in a statement. “At the time of the shooting, the officers believed the suspect was pointing a firearm at them. After an exhaustive search, scene investigators did not locate any firearms. The only item found near the suspect was a cell phone.”

On Wednesday, the police department released audio and video of the tragic incident that was captured by body cams and a police helicopter. Shortly after the footage surfaced, it was reported that members of the Black Lives Matter movement would lead a protest march in the California capital. The demonstration is said to have stopped traffic on Interstate 5 before it made its way to the Golden 1 Center on Thursday night. 

You can check out photos and videos of the protests, courtesy of ABC 10 anchor Frances Wang, below.