UPDATED 2/16, 1:35 p.m. ET: A judge has granted Bob Saget’s family’s request to block the release of autopsy records, Fox News reports.
Meanwhile, TMZ reports that authorities believe Saget’s head trauma was caused by his bed, and more specifically the headboard. They also contend that there are no signs of foul play.
See original story below.
In the suit, it’s argued that “further release of records” would result in “irreparable harm in the form of extreme mental pain, anguish, and emotional distress” for the comedian’s family. Investigation-related documents in question include photos, video, autopsy info, and more.
“While we are sensitive to the family’s concerns about the right to privacy, that must be balanced with our commitment to transparency, compliance with the law, and the public’s right to know,” the Sheriff’s Office said in a statement shared with People.
Saget died on Jan. 9 of this year at the age of 65. At the time, Saget was on the road for a stand-up tour, with the comedian found unresponsive in a hotel room the day after a stop in Ponte Vedra Beach. In a statement released by Saget’s family earlier this month, it was revealed that authorities had determined that he “passed from head trauma.”
The comedian, as explained in the family’s statement, likely hit the back of his head and then went to sleep without thinking anything of it. “No drugs or alcohol were involved,” the family said at the time. A statement from an Orlando medical examiner was released shortly after, including the determination that Saget’s injuries were “most likely incurred from an unwitnessed fall.” At the time of his death, Saget was also reported to be positive for COVID-19.
Saget’s death was mourned by fans and fellow comedians alike, as well as by his closest collaborators. “I am broken,” John Stamos, who worked with Saget on Full House and the Netflix revival Fuller House, said in an initial tweet. “I am gutted. I am in complete and utter shock. I will never ever have another friend like him. I love you so much Bobby.”