Space Jam 2's bumpy ride to the big screen is likely set to continue, at least according to original Space Jam director Joe Pytka. At the top of the month, the long-awaited sequel to the Michael Jordan 1996 blockbuster was (seemingly) confirmed with LeBron James taking center stage. But Pytka has some very urgent advice for Space Jam 2 director Justin Lin: Quit while you're ahead.

"Don't do it," Pytka told the Hollywood Reporter Thursday. "It's doomed. Michael Jordan was the biggest star on the planet." Pytka, also known for his award-winning commercial work and the classic Michael Jackson video "Dirty Diana," insists there's just no beating the 1996 vibes of the original.

"When we did Space Jam, there was a perfect storm of players and ex-players available—Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing," Pytka said. "They all had a persona that complemented the film. There are none around like that now." Pytka also argued that LeBron has been "eclipsed" by Steph Curry, not to mention that the film won't realistically be anywhere near completion for at least two more years.

The most recent update on the status of Space Jam 2 came last week, when a rep for J.R. Smith told TMZ that producers had already been making calls about getting LeBron's real-life teammate on board. But given that LeBron apparently hasn't inked a deal for the movie just yet, we should all probably keep our stokedness in check.