ComplexCon returns to Long Beach Nov. 6 - 7 with hosts J. Balvin and Kristen Noel Crawley, performances by A$AP Rocky and Turnstile, and more shopping and drops.

Secure your spot while tickets last!

This is horrible. According to ABC News, a man who was texting his daughter at a movie theater in Florida was shot and killed by another patron who was angry that he was using his phone during the promos before the film—and, as Uproxx reports, new reports suggest that the shooter was actually retired police captain.

The victim is 43-year-old Chad Oulson, who was attending a screening of Lone Survivor at a movie theater in Florida called Cinebistro 16. He was reportedly texting his 3-year-old daughter as the previews before the film began playing, and another man sitting behind him, 71-year-old Curtis Reeves Jr., asked him to stop. When Oulson refused, Reeves exited the theater to find a manager—but when he was unable to, he returned to the theater, and once again asked Oulson to stop. Oulson refused again, and, according to ABC News, "additional words were exchanged." When Oulson threw popcorn at Reeves, Reeves grew angered, pulled out his .380 caliber gun, and fatally wounded Oulson.

According to witnesses Charles Cummings and his son, Oulson said "I can't believe I've been shot" just before he died:

"I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun, to a movie," said Charles Cummings, who was sitting near Oulson and Reeves. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."

Cummings, who said he was a combat Marine in Vietnam, said Oulson fell onto him and his son. When they spoke to reporters on Monday, both had blood on their clothes.

"Blood started coming out of his mouth," said Alex Cummings. "It was just a very bad scene."

Charles Cummings said his son went to call 911, while Cummings and another patron who was a nurse began performing CPR on the victim.

Oulson's wife reportedly threw her arm around Oulson when he was shot, and was also wounded herself—she is reportedly being treated at a Tampa-area hospital, and her injury is not described as life-threatening.

Reeves has been charged with second-degree murder.

[via Indiewire]