Life

Surfside Condo Collapse Lawsuit Reaches Nearly $1 Billion Settlement

Lawyers involved in the class-action lawsuit filed in response to the collapse of Champlain Towers South in Florida have reached a $997 million settlement.

Police tape blocks access to partially collapsed Surfside condo.
Police tape blocks access to a partially collapsed building in Surfside north of Miami Beach.
Getty

Lawyers for the victims of last year’s Surfside condo collapse announced Wednesday that a $997 million settlement has been reached, ABC News reports.

The settlement was revealed during a status conference at a Florida courtroom, and left Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman admittedly “speechless.” Hanzman added, “I’m shocked by this result – I think it’s fantastic. This is a recovery that is far in excess of what I had anticipated.” Hanzman hopes to have everything finalized by June 24, which is the one-year anniversary of the tragic event that killed 98 people.

“It’s the largest settlement from a single incident in U.S. history,” Judd Rosen, one of the lead attorneys in the class-action lawsuit, said. “The number itself implies significant accountability on what happened.” The suit argued that construction on the luxury high-rise condo Eighty-Seven Park next door exasperated what were already poor conditions of the Champlain Towers South (CTS). Owners and insurers for Eighty-Seven Park have denied any responsibility for the collapse.

In the days that followed the collapse, a letter from CTS board president Jean Wodnicki to its residents months prior surfaced, proving there was a sense of awareness regarding how decrepit the condo’s structure had become. “The concrete deterioration is accelerating. The roof situation got much worse, so extensive roof repairs had to be incorporated,” the letter read.

Adam Schwartzbaum, lawyer for surviving resident Raysa Rodriguez, claimed an investigation found that warning signs existed 10 years ago, if not longer. The 136-unit complex, which was built in 1981, had been in the process of a county-mandated inspection when the collapse occurred.

Related Stories

florida-identity-theft
Life

Three People Charged After Allegedly Stealing Identities of Surfside Condo Collapse Victims for Financial Gain

Three Floridians face charges of identity theft and fraud after they stole the identities of seven victims of the Surfside condo collapse earlier this year.

Joe Price1808 days ago
miami-building-collapse
Life

Residents Told to Evacuate Unsafe Miami Condo Weeks After Fatal Building Collapse

Hundreds of Miami residents were told to leave their eight-story condo building late Monday night after city officials deemed the property to be unsound.

miami-collapse
Life

Letter From April Details Worsening Conditions of Partially Collapsed Florida Condo Building

A letter from the board president revealed in April that the conditions of the now-partially collapsed Florida building were worsening and deteriorating.

tara mahadevan1879 days ago

Stay ahead on Exclusives

Download the Complex App