Ten Middle School Students Treated For Ingesting Apparent Marijuana Edibles
Ten middle school students at a San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles school were medically treated after they ingested marijuana edibles, FOX 10 reported.
Ten middle school students at a San Fernando Valley school have been treated after they ingested marijuana edibles, FOX 10 reported.
The Los Angeles Fire Department responded to calls from Van Nuys Middle School just before midday on Thursday, after faculty reported numerous medical complaints among students. Ten students were treated at the school, and seven of which were taken to a nearby hospital. According to the responding paramedics, the students were showing signs of “mild to moderate distress” when they arrived at the scene.
The students ranged in age between 12 to 15, and officials confirmed their ingestion did not involve the fentanyl. It is believed they took marijuana edibles. “They were lethargic as if we were seeing their faces looked a little glazed over,” added a representative for the fire department. In response to the scene, several parents of the children rushed to the school, which informed everyone they were doing a “practice lockdown.”
"We take the health and safety of our students very seriously," reads a statement from a school district representative. "Every effort is made to ensure our students learn in a safe environment. Los Angeles Unified maintains an ongoing partnership with local health agencies, community partners and medical experts to provide training to school staff and education for our school communities."
It is unclear how the students obtained the suspected edibles. "Our students are always encouraged to speak with our school staff if they are feeling unwell or need assistance," adds the statement. "We also encourage everyone to follow the district's message: if you see something, say something."