What Makes Up the Name: emotion + icon

We need to change the subject, this is getting to dark. Those smiley (or frowny or angry) things you use to help lube the social canals of netiquette are called emoticons. You can get creative with them and use some of the lesser known ones like: \m/ "rocking out", *<:o) "happy clown", [$(1)$] "money bills" and of course, ;{| "stoic one-eyed asian man with moustache".

Origin: Merriam-Webster has it appearing in 1987 and it shows up in the Style section of the NYT in 1990.

See Also: fucktard. It's unrelated, but was just a good one that wasn't going to make the list