Rangers Pitcher Reportedly Urinated on Himself Twice During DWI Arrest

The breathalyzer test showed Jeremy Jeffress had a .115 blood-alcohol concentration.

Not Available Lead
Complex Original

Image via Complex Original

Not Available Lead

Texas Rangers pitcher Jeremy Jeffress was arrested for DWI early Friday morning. A report from The Dallas Morning News revealed it was a rather unconventional arrest.

After Jeffress struggled in field sobriety tests and couldn’t maintain his balance or stand on one leg, he reportedly urinated on himself. As an officer searched him, Jeffress reportedly urinated on himself again.

Jeffress took a breathalyzer test that showed he had a .115 blood-alcohol concentration, above the legal limit of .08.

Jeffress was pulled over around 2:30 a.m. after allegedly switching lanes without using his turn signal, and coming close to hitting another car. An officer pulled Jeffress over and observed telltale signs of intoxication: his breath smelled like alcohol, and his eyes were “bloodshot, water, and glassy.”

Jeffress took the test just before 3 a.m. He admitted to police that he had been drinking Hennessy that night, and he had drunk 3-4 cups of the cognac mixed with Coca-Cola between 12:15 and 1:15 a.m. Hennessy is 80 proof, or 40 percent Alcohol by Volume (ABV).


Mugshot released by Dallas County Sheriff's Dept of Texas Rangers pitcher Jeremy Jeffress arrested for DWI. pic.twitter.com/dJE3bm7MNQ

Bail was set at $500 for Jeffress. He was jailed shortly after 5 a.m., and Jeffress was released about six hours later.

"The Rangers are certainly disappointed in Jeremy's actions of early this morning," Rangers General Manager Jon Daniels said in a written statement, according to the Morning News. "We have been in touch with Jeremy's representatives and Major League Baseball, and are continuing to work through this situation and gather more information." 

Daniels said Jeffress was "apologetic and embarrassed."

The Rangers issued the traditional team-in-a-PR-crisis statement.

“The Texas Rangers are aware of the situation involving Jeremy Jeffress that took place early this morning,” the statement read. “At this time, we are in the process of the gathering information and have no further comment.”

The Rangers acquired Jeffress just three and a half weeks ago, July 31, in a trade with the Brewers. Jeffress was suspended twice as a minor leaguer—for 50 games the first time (2007) and 100 games the second (2009)—for testing positive for unapproved drugs.

Send all complaints, compliments, and tips to sportstips@complex.com

Latest in Sports