Baltimore Police Acknowledge That Freddie Gray Should've Received Medical Attention Before Transport

The latest update on this situation.

Image via WBAL

Police in Baltimore have admitted that the man who died of severe injuries a week after being arrested should have received medical care prior to being transported to a police station.

Freddie Gray, 25, was arrested on April 12 after police found a blade in his pants. Between his arrest and arrival at the police station, Gray reportedly suffered critical injuries. Yesterday, a lawyer representing at least one of the officers involved in Gray's arrest said that, although his legs were in irons and he was handcuffed, his seatbelt was not fastened. He underwent emergency surgery the following day, but ultimately succumbed to his injuries on Sunday. An attorney representing Gray's family claims his spine was 80 percent severed at the neck.

According to the Associated Press, Baltimore police brass say medical attention should've been administered before Gray was placed in the van: 

Commissioner Anthony Batts said it was possible Gray was injured before the van ride, but also possible he suffered in a rough ride — where officers hit the brakes and take sharp turns to injure suspects in the back of vans.

Gray, who is black, was arrested after he made eye contact with officers and ran away, police said. Officers held him down, handcuffed him and loaded him into a police van. While inside, he became irate and leg cuffs were put on him, police have said.

Gray was not buckled in, a violation of the police department's policy.

Gray asked for medical help several times, and after a 30-minute ride that included three stops, paramedics were called.

We know he was not buckled in the transportation wagon as he should have been. There's no excuse for that, period, Batts said. We know our police employees failed to give him medical attention in a timely manner multiple times.

Deputy police commissioner Kevin Davis said Friday that Gray should have received medical attention at the spot of his arrest. Bystander video shows Gray screaming as officers carried him to the van, his legs appearing limp.

All of the officers involved in Gray's arrest have been suspended pending the outcome of an internal investigation. In addition, the State's Attorney's office and the Department of Justice are conducting probes into the circumstances surrounding Gray's death. 

[via Associated Press]

Latest in Pop Culture