On Friday, Harvey Weinsteinsurrendered to authorities in New York, and was charged with raping one woman and forcing another to perform oral sex. But before turning himself in,the disgraced producer reportedly had been working on a plan to sell a documentary about himself.
“He’s been trying to get a documentary done on himself,” a source told Page Six. Weinstein is currently out with an ankle bracelet in tow on $1 million bail for the two felony charges. The documentary would reportedly aim to tell “his side” of the story. “He wanted to make a film he could control—he’d been calling people,” the source said.
The film source claims Weinstein’s doc would be produced “when this is over. More than 80 women who have come forward with allegations against Weinstein since October of last year, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman, Lupita Nyong’o, and Ashley Judd.
However, a representative for Weinstein denied the claim. “He isn’t interested in a documentary about his experience. Didn’t happen,” they told Page Six.
After Weinstein turned himself in on Friday, some of his accusers shared their reactions online. They included Rose McGowan and Asia Argento, who recently shared a moving speech about Weinstein at Cannes Film Festival where she mentioned Weinstein raping her at that same festival in 1993.
Weinstein pled not guilty to the sex crime charges and plans to “file a motion to dismiss the charges as being legally flawed and not supported by credible evidence,” according to his lawyer Ben Brafman. If found guilty, he could face up to 25 years in prison.