At some point every weekend, you can typically expect Donald Trump to begin the day with a tweet storm of propaganda culled from the bowels of Fox News. There’s a good chance these grammatically incorrect missives are being sent from a golf course and punctuated with a catchphrase like “Sad!” or “Fake news.” Sunday, Trump offered more of the same when he came at filmmaker and author Michael Moore with a flurry of insults. In turn, Moore returned fire at Trump’s comb over with a factual takedown that illustrated just how much of a cesspool the White House has become in the last nine months.
While not at all presidential I must point out that the Sloppy Michael Moore Show on Broadway was a TOTAL BOMB and was forced to close. Sad!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 28, 2017
“While not at all presidential I must point out that the Sloppy Michael Moore Show on Broadway was a TOTAL BOMB and was forced to close. Sad!” Trump tweeted Saturday afternoon. Trump was referring to Moore’s one-man show, The Terms of My Surrender, which actually closed a week ago. And no, throwing shade at a Broadway show is not at all presidential. But characterizing the normalization of sexual assault as “locker room talk,” calling Nazi’s “very nice people” or throwing paper towels at hurricane-battered citizens aren’t presidential acts either, so that proverbial train has left the station.
One of the problems with getting your news from Sean Hannity’s reruns is that you end up regurgitating flat-out lies. The Terms of My Surrender wasn’t a “total bomb.” According to Variety, the show played to houses that averaged about 98% capacity. Two previews earned $199,041, while other estimates have the show grossing somewhere between $4 and $6 million. The Terms of My Surrender was also a limited, 12-week engagement, so it was scheduled to end last week regardless and never “forced to close.” Facts only.
After Moore dispatched with the basic slander, he went into full “today I got time, cuz” mode by attacking Trump’s numerous failures, cronyism and seemingly purposeful policy attacks on marginalized citizens.
1) You must have my smash hit of a Broadway show confused with your presidency-- which IS a total bomb and WILL indeed close early. NOT SAD https://t.co/URgXgzWWVk— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
With all of Trumps talk about respecting the troops and the flag, Moore hit Trump with that ether that made his soul burn slow by referencing his overall ignorance about the campaign in Afghanistan.
2) Today, 1 U.S. service member was killed & 6 injured in our never-ending war in Afghanistan. You,our President, are not even aware of this— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
3) You ARE aware I'm a "B'way star" & I guess this bothers you more. SAD.— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
Meanwhile, a federal grand jury is making moves on what most believe to be ties between Trump's administration and their comrades in the Kremlin. Shots fired.
4) Prosecutor Mueller's GrandJury has just approved the 1st criminal indictments of your administration. R u trying 2 distract us from this?— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
Whether you want to chalk it up to his inexperience and incompetence or purposeful neglect of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, the post-Harvey and Maria situation is inexcusable.
5) 38 days after Maria, 3/4 of PR (our fellow Americans) have NO electricity. Yet u are more upset that so many ppl saw my B'way show. SAD.— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
Like many of us, Moore was keenly aware Trump spends way too much time on Twitter. Where is the lie, though?
6) They say Twitter "distracts" you from your presidency. But Twitter IS YOUR PRESIDENCY! It's all you know how to do. #LOSER!— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
Moore then unleashed all the petty and brought things full circle. Finish him...
7) And now, for this weekend, I’m your latest distraction from your crimes. Ha! Raucous & joyous crowds every nite on B’way- & u missed out!— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't.
8) It was the highest grossing play (non-musical) of the summer, despite my offering $29 cheap seats + free student tix so ALL could afford.— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
9) As announced on May 1st, it was always a "12-WEEK-ONLY" run, due to my commitments to my upcoming primetime TV series & my new movie.— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
10) On Broadway, Donald, they call it a "LIMITED ENGAGEMENT" -- just like we’re planning on making your presidency.— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
Then Moore starting bringing out more receipts.
11) For now, at least, I know I still have one fan in the White House (thx for your unwavering support, Jared!) pic.twitter.com/mTwLxW4KgR— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
What’s it like to be Donald Trump today, just hrs away from the first of many criminal indictments that could send friends & family to jail?— Michael Moore (@MMFlint) October 29, 2017
And scene. The lesson here, as always, is to choose your opponents carefully. It looks like Trump assumed Moore would be an easy target for his weekly delusional tweetstorm. Then Moore gave him all the bars he could handle with a side of pettiness for entertainment value.