Will Smith has something very important to tell you about Bad Boys 3: It's happening. Never mind the fact that Smith has already confirmed the long-awaited sequel on several other occasions, prompting stokedness across the globe before some inevitable delay promptly stifled it. But, for real this time, Bad Boys 3 is a sure thing. Really! It is.
Smith, chatting it up with Jimmy Kimmel Monday ahead of the release of his new movie Collateral Beauty, was asked to elaborate on the recent announcement from co-star Martin Lawrence that the sequel would start shooting next March. "It is very, very, very close," Smith said. When asked what all the delay has been about, Smith joked that his facial hair was to blame. "It's the mustache," he told Kimmel. "The studio was like, 'We can't do the 'stache.'"
Though Smith wouldn't (couldn't?) outright confirm Lawrence's announced start date or the projected 2018 release, he did confirm that he's thrilled to return to the Bad Boys universe. "Let me tell you, I love that dude," Smith said of working with Lawrence on the previous two films. "That was among the best times I've ever had making movies."
Last month, Bad Boys 3 (possibly titled Bad Boys for Life) director Joe Carnahan hit up Collider with some more expansive thoughts on the sequel. "I don't wanna say anything else because I don't wanna ruin the delicacy of who our antagonist is, because I think it's very cool," Carnahan said of his script. "It's not one person. It's a multi-headed hydra, I'll say that. It works beautifully."