Though it should obviously go without saying, you really shouldn't be illegally downloading movies. Some movies would appear to cost and quickly earn a large enough amount of money to counteract voracious piracy, but that's not indicative of the industry at large. Ethical complications aside, a lot of people are still torrenting blockbusters and indies alike. In fact, the nasty habit shows no signs of slowing down with Excipio's annual list of the most pirated films of the year for 2015.
Christopher Nolan's mind-expanding space epic Interstellar, starring a top-shelf Matthew McConaughey, has officially been named the most pirated movie of the year. In fact, by Mashable's best estimate, the "total volume of torrented movies is on the uptick." Interstellar landed 46.7 million illegal downloads through Dec. 25, while previous champ The Wolf of Wall Street garnered 30 million in 2014 for a 56 percent increase in piracy in just one year. Furious 7 scored the No. 2 spot with 44.7 million downloads, just a few million ahead of super tiny indie smash Avengers: Age of Ultron at 41.5 million illegal grabs.
Peep Excipio's full list of most pirated films of 2015 via Variety below:
1. 46,762,310 (downloads): Interstellar (2014)
2. 44,794,877: Furious 7 (2015)
3. 41,594,159: Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
4. 36,881,763: Jurassic World (2015)
5. 36,443,244: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
6. 33,953,737: American Sniper (2014)
7. 32,126,827: Fifty Shades of Grey (2015)
8. 31,574,872: The Hobbit: Battle Of The Five Armys (2014)
9. 31,001,480: Terminator: Genisys (2015)
10. 30,922,987: The Secret Service (2014)
Maybe stop stealing movies now?