Somehow The Wolf of Wall Street was pirated more times than the f-bomb was dropped during the film. Leonardo DiCaprio's depiction of the morally depraved stockbroker was illegally downloaded more than 30 million times, enough to make it the most pirated film of 2014. Joining it on the podium are Frozen and RoboCop, with 29.919 and 29.879 million downloads respectively.
RoboCop's pirating popularity comes with an asterisk, though. While tracking the downloads it was difficult to distinguish the classic movie from 1987 with the garbage compacted into film in 2014. Combined, the two movies were downloaded nearly 30 million times. It's just unclear how many times each was downloaded individually.
Here's the entire top ten, along with a reminder that a lot of us are
resourceful dirty criminals.
- The Wolf of Wall Street: 30.035 million
- Frozen: 29.919 million
- RoboCop: 29.879 million
- Gravity: 29.357 million
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: 27.627 million
- Thor: The Dark World: 25.749 million
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 25.628 million
- The Legend of Hercules: 25.137 million
- X-Men: Days of Future Past: 24.380 million
- 12 Years a Slave: 23.653 million