A Los Angeles Superior Court judge has turned down an effort from the defense attorney of the man convicted in the murder of Nipsey Hussle to have their client’s conviction reduced to a lesser charge.
As reported by regional outlet KNBC, Judge H. Clay Jacke rejected efforts to have the initial first-degree murder conviction of Eric Holder Jr. knocked down to either second-degree murder or voluntary manslaughter, as well as said no to a request for a new trial in the case.
Complex has reached out to the court for further clarification. This story may be updated.
Holder’s attorney, Aaron Jansen, had previously been reported to have asserted that jurors had been “inconsistent” in their verdict, pointing to two other shooting victims and a related “heat of passion” argument.
“If he was provoked and didn’t have time to cool off for the other two guys, how did he have time to cool off with Nipsey Hussle?” Jansen said following a prior hearing, per a Rolling Stone report at the time.
In July of this year, Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón announced that Holder had been convicted today of killing Nipsey and injuring two others in South Los Angeles in March 2019. Holder was found guilty of a single count of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted voluntary manslaughter, two counts of assault with a firearm, and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.
As for Holder’s sentencing, Monday’s court proceedings also resulted in that being pushed back again to next February, as confirmed by Los Angeles Times court reporter James Queally.
Nipsey was recently honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on what would have marked his 37th birthday. The date, Aug. 15, was simultaneously designated as Nipsey Hussle Day in the City of Los Angeles.