22 Deaths Confirmed After Reported Explosion Following Ariana Grande Concert

Police are reporting "a number of confirmed fatalities and others injured."

Video shows scene in Manchester, England, during 'serious incident' after Ariana Grande concert; fatalities reported https://t.co/ACcGukEXc9 pic.twitter.com/cmAv5nvE4q

— ABC News (@ABC) May 22, 2017

UPDATED 5/23/17, 8:15 a.m. ET:

Manchester Police are now reporting that at least 22 people, including children, died during the attack that took place at Manchester Arena following an Ariana Grande concert on Monday night. They have also revealed that they believe a lone suicide bomber was responsible for the attack.

"The attacker, I can confirm, died at the arena," Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said Tuesday. "We believe the attacker was carrying an improved explosive device, which he detonated, causing this atrocity."

Police are currently investigating whether or not the attacker had ties to any terrorist organizations. U.S. President Donald Trump and British Prime Minster Theresa May both delivered lengthy statements about the attack on Tuesday.

See original story below.

Shortly after Ariana Grande's set came to an end at Manchester Arena on Monday, around 10:35 p.m. local time, a loud explosion was heard, causing those in attendance to flee the venue. In their latest statement, the Greater Manchester police have confirmed that 19 people died with "around 50 others injured." They said they are "treating this as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise." If people want information about loved ones or friends who may have been in or around the arena, they should call 0161 856 9400.

Latest statement on incident at Manchester Arena @CCIanHopkins pic.twitter.com/GEABqAk5rr

— Greater Manchester Police (@gmpolice) May 23, 2017

The Manchester Arena's Twitter account released a statement of their own, claiming that the incident took place outside the venue. 

One person was able to capture the horrifying moment when the explosion occurred.   

I was at the Ariana Grande show in Manchester. When the show had finished there was an explosion, a moment of silence and people started...

— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) May 22, 2017

Another person gave their account of what went down, as well as the aftermath. 

...running and screaming. It was terrifying. There are now armed police and helicopters at the arena. I'm stuck in the car park & shaken up.

— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) May 22, 2017

A bomb disposal unit has just arrived outside the Manchester Arena. Can also hear sniffer dogs being brought out of the vans pic.twitter.com/SgTPZxMLyg

— Chris Slater (@chrisslaterMEN) May 22, 2017

Numerous ambulances can be seen making their way to Manchester Arena following the explosion. 

Officers carrying out a precautionary controlled explosion in Cathedral Garden confirm that it was abandoned clothing, not a suspicious item

— Greater Manchester Police (@gmpolice) May 23, 2017

A bomb disposal unit and sniffer dogs were sent to the scene. 

With the nearby Manchester Victoria station closed, the #RoomForManchester hashtag has been created as a way to help those in the area who need food and/or a place to stay the night. 

A spokesman for Grande's record label has told Reuters that she is "okay."

British Prime Minister Theresa May has issued a statement about the incident. "We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack," she said. "All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected."

Police set off a controlled explosion near the arena to blow up what they thought was a "suspicious item," but it turned out to be some clothes left behind in the chaos.

About five hours after the explosion, Grande tweeted, "Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words."


Latest in Music