33-year-old Patrick Xavier Clark, who was arrested and charged with the murder of Takeoff last week, said through his attorneys that he didn’t fatally shoot the rapper in Houston, Texas last month. During a brief court appearance on Monday, attorney Letitia Quinones said her client is “nervous” and “concerned” because he is “being charged with something that he believes he’s innocent of, so how would anyone do in that type of circumstance?”
Takeoff was fatally shot at age 28 during the early hours of Nov. 1 when gunfire erupted following a “lucrative” game of dice. He was shot in the head and torso as approximately 30 people left a private gathering at a Houston bowling alley. Authorities said Takeoff was not involved in the dispute that led to gunfire, and was “an innocent bystander.”
Clark is being held on $2 million bond and is set to attend a bond reduction hearing on Dec. 14. Police said they determined Clark’s identity through the use of shooting reconstruction and ballistics evidence, as well as cellphone and surveillance footage that “surfaced over time.”
“Yesterday evening, we arrested Patrick Xavier Clark,” said police chief Troy Finner in a press conference on Friday.
“More than an entertainer, he was a son, brother, cousin, a friend, and a mentor to those in the music industry,” added Houston mayor Sylvester Turner of Takeoff. “I am glad a suspect has been arrested and charged with Takeoff’s death. I’m certain it will bring some comfort to the family, though it does not bring Takeoff back. This is a significant step towards seeking justice, and I hope it also brings additional comfort to all who loved Takeoff.”