Frontier and Spirit Are Merging, and People Are Letting Jokes Fly About the Low-Fare Airlines

Both of the low-fare airline boards approved the deal over the weekend and Frontier Airlines now has a 51.5 percent controlling stake in the airline.

Frontier Airlines Airbus A320 takes off from Los Angeles

Photo by AaronP/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images via Getty Images

Frontier Airlines Airbus A320 takes off from Los Angeles

The two largest discount airlines in the U.S. are merging, as Frontier and Spirit Airlines have agreed to a deal valued at $6.6 billion.

Becoming what CNBC is calling the fifth-largest airline in the U.S., both airline boards approved the deal over the weekend. Frontier Airlines has a 51.5 percent controlling stake, while Spirit will control the remaining 48.5 percent. This marks the first U.S. airline merger since Alaska Airlines and Virgin America joined forces in 2016. 

“This transaction is centered around creating an aggressive ultra-low fare competitor to serve our guests even better, expand career opportunities for our team members and increase competitive pressure, resulting in more consumer-friendly fares for the flying public,” Spirit President and CEO Ted Christie said in a statement.

More ultra-low fares to more people in more destinations. @SpiritAirlines + @FlyFrontier = #ourbestdealyet

— Frontier Airlines (@FlyFrontier) February 7, 2022

Frontier Chairman Bill Franke will be the chair of the combined company, sharing that it “will create America’s most competitive ultra-low fare airline for the benefit of consumers.”

Frontier is based out of Denver, while Spirit is based out of Florida, but the carrier’s new name, location, and CEO have yet to be announced. The combined airline will be responsible for 1,000 daily flights, with 350 planes touching down in 19 different countries. 

Still, even with its new place as the fifth-biggest airline in the U.S., flyers on Twitter aren’t too enthusiastic about the news, and are using the opportunity to poke some fun at the low-fare travel options. Check out some of the more interesting reactions to the news below. 

Frontier and Spirit Airlines merging

— Ricky Smith (@Rickonia) February 7, 2022

Live look at Frontier and Spirit Airlines, joining forces.😭

— JerriLynn (@Jerri_Lynn25) February 7, 2022

Frontier and Spirit Airlines are merging, and forming “Yeah, So What About It Airlines.”

— Julius Kim (@Julius_Kim) February 7, 2022

Frontier and Spirit airlines whooping ya ass for asking for a glass of water now that they’ve merged

— Greensta and 1,385 others (@ThaGreensta) February 7, 2022

Frontier and Spirit to merge in $6.6 billion deal (raised to $13 billion after checking bags)

— Boutique Burnout (@BoutiqueBurnout) February 7, 2022

NEWS: On the day it announces its merger with Spirit, Frontier Airlines is having a operations meltdown. There are currently ZERO Frontier aircraft in the air at the moment.

— Ben Bearup (@TheAviationBeat) February 7, 2022

Latest in Life