Per sources at ABC, the network’s president Kim Goodwin announced the decision to pull the hosts off the air during an editorial call on Monday. She called the attention on the couple an “internal and external distraction,” just days after it was reported the two wouldn’t face any disciplinary action over their highly-publicized romance.
"I want to say that while that relationship is not a violation of company policy, I have really taken the last few days to think about and work through what I think is best for the ABC News organization," Goodwin reportedly told ABC staff. "This is something … we're not going to talk about on this call until there is more to be said. I'm asking that we stop the whispering in the hallways. You know, we can't operate with gossip, and speculation and rumors. We need to stay focused on the work." Goodwin said that if any staff at ABC feels there’s “something that management needs to know,” they should speak with HR or talk to a manager.
Reports first surfaced last week, alongside photos that showed them holding hands in upstate New York. Neither of them have publicly addressed the situation, but they’ve both deactivated their Instagram accounts. Robach is still married to actor Andrew Shue, while Holmes is married to attorney Marilee Fiebig. They both reportedly separatedfrom their partners sometime in August. Sources have claimed there were rumors of an affair as far back as last year.
In their last appearance on air last week, the pair appeared to joke about the media attention on their romance. “You know, it's too bad it's Friday. It's been a great week," joked the 45-year-old Holmes, who elicited a laugh from his co-host. "I just want this one to keep going and going and going. Just enjoy it! Take it all in." In response, 49-year-old Robach said, “Speak for yourself. I am very excited about the weekend—and I'm sure everyone else is too. We all love our Fridays around here. Some of us do, at least."