#YearWithoutTamir Protest and Vigils Held in Honor of Tamir Rice

Today marks the one year anniversary of Tamir Rice's death.

Image via NBC News

Today marks the one year anniversary of Tamir Rice's death. The 12-year old was shot on Nov. 22, 2014 by two Cleveland police officers who allegedly thought Rice's toy gun was a real one. The world has not forgotten the tragedy of his passing. 

On Sunday morning Rice's mother, Samaria Rice, and fellow advocates stepped out in Cleveland to demand justice for Tamir's death. A vigil was also held in Rice's hometown. "I just want to thank everybody for coming out and continuing to support justice for Tamir," Rice's mother said

From today's vigil for #TamirRice in his hometown of Cleveland. pic.twitter.com/cJWdWvpoTy

— Equality Ohio (@EqualityOhio) November 22, 2015

People took to Twitter to share images of the vigils held all over major cities, including New York where candles, teddy bears, flowers and photos of Rice were on display. One poster read, "A mother's cry for justice." A little girl held a sign that said, "I am Tamir Rice." 

The hashtag #YearWithoutTamir has been trending on Twitter with many folks reflecting on Rice's death as well as sharing pictures and videos of the marches held in Rice's honor. A supporter at the New York protest shouted, "Fist up! Fight back!" 

#NYCRISEUP4TAMIR taking the streets in Brooklyn to demand justice for the murder of Tamir #yearwithouttamir pic.twitter.com/1tYcZ8Xd0r

— Millions March NYC (@MillionsMarch) November 22, 2015

"Thank you all for standing for me when I can't stand. It gives me strength to know that I have all of you guys uplift me," Rice's mother toldFox 8 News.

A petition recently created by Rice's cousin, LaTonya Goldsby, has reached over 100 thousand supporters.

The petition reads:

My cousin Tamir was only 12-years-old when he was shot and killed last year by a Cleveland police officer as he played in a park with a toy gun. Timothy Loehmann, an officer in training, shot and killed Tamir within two seconds of arriving at the park. The police car hadn’t even fully stopped before he began shooting. Tamir’s killing was captured on camera.That should have been all that was needed to charge the officer. But next month marks a full year since his death and the County Prosecutor, Timothy McGinty, has still not even presented this case to a grand jury to determine if charges will be filed against the officers.

A year later, Tamir's family is still seeking justice.

Latest in Pop Culture