Jussie Smollett will reportedly not meet with police Monday. It was previously reported that local authorities wanted to speak with the Empire star again in connection with "new evidence" surrounding an alleged attack that has since been accused of being staged.
A spokesperson for Smollett's attorneys, Victor Henderson and Todd Pugh, told CBS 2 Chicago Monday that no such plan for a follow-up interview was currently in place. "There are no plans for Jussie Smollett to meet with Chicago police today," the spokesperson said. "Smollett's attorneys will keep an active dialogue going with Chicago police on his behalf. We have no further comment today."
Chicago police, meanwhile, are not speaking further on reports from CBS 2 Chicago and others alleging that Smollett paid two men—brothers who were ultimately released without charges—as part of an orchestrated hoax. Chicago Police Department's chief communications officer Anthony Guglielmi said Sunday that the department is "not in a position to confirm, deny, or comment on the validity of" unofficial reports. He did, however, note that there have been "some developments" in the case that will require a new meeting between detectives and Smollett.
In a previous statement via Pugh and Henderson in response to the hoax reports, Smollett is characterized as a "victim of a hate crime" being further victimized by new claims. "One of these purported suspects was Jussie's personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video," the attorneys said. "It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie's complicity."
The case is expected to soon be heard by a grand jury.