It probably feels like you've read this exact article before. After all, over the past few years, we've been yanked around so many times about the long-delayed third Bad Boys entry that we had basically given up hope. For the latest wrinkle in the sequel's path to existence, we have yet another release date.

Sony Pictures announced late Wednesday that Bad Boys for Life has been slated for a Jan. 17, 2020 release date, according to Entertainment Weekly. Sony, who previously had The Grey's Joe Carnahan down for the job, also confirmed that Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah (Snowfall) would be directing. 

59729a1bc9f41443dfe7f8ff

The story for the third entry, which will of course bring original stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence back together again, will reportedly center on Mike Lowery (Smith) going through a midlife crisis while Marcus Burnett (Lawrence) works as a private eye. Though the characters have apparently endured a falling out since the last time we saw them, a new common enemy inspires them to set aside their differences.

As far back as 2016, Smith and Lawrence were publicly expressing optimism about the then-untitled Bad Boys 2 sequel. During a chat with Jimmy Kimmel that year, Lawrence said the questions he received most from fans revolved around the status of the Bad Boys franchise. "We're looking towards maybe, you know, March or so, hopefully," Lawrence said at the time. "If we can get everybody together at the same time. I don't think there's a holdout, it's just a matter of getting the script right and everything and just doing it at the right time." Though the film would hit a few roadblocks following Lawrence's 2016 update, it finally appears to be actually happening.