It hasn’t even premiered yet and director Andy Muschietti is already out here sparking sequel rumors. The movie has been highly anticipated, and to be totally honest looks like it’s downright terrifying, so the move doesn’t feel completely out of the blue, but it’s not like anything has been confirmed yet.
The rumors are coming out of an interview that Muschietti gave to Italian publication Bad Taste. When asked if he would now be switching gears to Robotech, his next confirmed project, Muschietti said “No, It 2 è la mia priorità. Dirigerò Robotech, in caso, dopo,” which means “No, It 2 is my priority. I would direct Robotech after, in that case,” in Italian. When asked if he would be given a higher budget for his demonic clown horror movie sequel, he said “I hope so!”
It all sounds kind of promising, even though there are language and cultural barriers to consider here. Muschietti is certainly speaking as though the project has already been greenlit and that he is so excited to work on it that he is putting everything else on pause. With all of that said, let’s take things one step at a time.
Muschietti’s It, which premieres Sept. 8, is already the second adaptation of Stephen King’s classic 1986 horror novel; before it came ABC’s successful 1990 TV ABC miniseries with Tim Curry as an iconic Pennywise the clown. You can except it to fully work to deserve its R-rating, as the movie has been in development for eight years now. Stephen King himself assured everyone back in March, saying people “should stop worrying about it as the producers have done a wonderful job with the production."
The only thing left up in the air is whether the movie will spark another wave of creepy clown sightings and attacks like we saw last year. Here’s hoping all that ish stays in the theaters right where it belongs.